As many of you you know, I have a beautiful 14 year old daughter. These years are the years I have dreaded the most, yet have been excited about!! While the attitude and sheer laziness that comes with being a teenager is hard to bear at times, I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world!! There are many things I enjoy now that my daughter is older, here are just a small sampling of what I LOVE!!
- She loves many of the same movies as me, whether it be the 80’s John Hughes movies…ie The Breakfast Club is our favorite, or heck, we enjoy the 80’s slasher movies too, Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th! Can’t forget the 90’s, we have enjoyed Clueless and The Craft together!
- The laugh riots we share!! I mean, I have had her on the floor doubled in laughter with jokes reminiscent of my teenage years (minus the dirty jokes of course) and she makes me laugh and feel young again!
- She loves to cook and is always trying to learn new things in the kitchen, this gives me a break and boy do I need it!! Her favorite thing to make is Stuffed Shells!!
- She always want to go to the store for me, even though she can’t drive yet, if we need something, she always offers to walk and get it!
- We do crafts together, and it’s stuff *I* actually enjoy, unlike fingerpainting and construction paper crafts!! Right now we are doing polymer clay, perler beads and Rainbow Loom bracelets!! She also wants to learn to sew, but I still need to master it before I can teach her!
- She asks me for advice, like about boys and hair and makeup and even though I am not great at the last 2, I love to help her experiment with her looks!! As far as boys, shes just lucky that I like that boyfriend of hers!!
- Birthday Parties are EASY!! Yes they are FILLED with giggling teenage girls and sometimes even boys, but there is less work for me AND her friends all like me and include me in their activities, thats when I feel I am doing things right!!
- She is very independent when it comes to her hygiene, no more bugging her to shower or brush her teeth and NO MORE brushing tangled hair!! Those were the WORST!
- Even though her and her brother fight A LOT, she adores him, loves to cuddle him and will often tell me to go relax and she will take care of him. I love that she gives me these little breaks!
- Even though I am her mother and I never want to blur those lines, she is really my best friend and she says I am hers!! Oh and she still calls me Mommy and thats the name I hope I NEVER lose!
There are many more things I LOVE, and I could sit here all day and list them OR I could be watching Splash with my girl on the DVR!! Yes, its the Daryl Hannah and Tom Hanks one!! Did I mention above that I LOVE Tom Hanks? No? Well I do and all his movies are on my Watch with Lexi List!!
What do you love about having a teenage girl?